Wednesday, November 25, 2009

There Will Come Soft Rains

And No Sunshine Today

The forecast was mistily right for today. It was damp out when I went to feed the Boys in the morning. But, since it had been dry for several days, I did not lock them in the arena and pasture. I wanted them to have full access to shelter. I also gave each one of them two flakes of the super tasty hay in their stalls.

Then I came inside to wait for the locksmith. My back door has been giving me trouble as I noted. He arrived around 9 AM and inspected the door. He found the problem with a bit of testing. The door has three dead bolt locks in it and the bottom one was slightly out of adjusment. I had to take the strike plate back to the shop to modify it. That took a little time, but the shop is really close by. When he got back, he fixed the lock and now the door seems to work really well. That was a relief.

I made some edamame bean salad to take to my friends' house for Thanksgiving dinner tomorrow, and wasted a bunch of time on the computer. One of my teacher friends from school called to chat for a while and before long the afternoon was in full swing.

When I went out, the mist was decidedly a very slight, light rain. I opted for a quick lungeing session with Tucker and Chance. There's not much to report about their lungeing as both of them are quite beautifully behaved on the line. The biggest fault on their part is being too relaxed. Even the snap of the whip does not excite them. So I have to use quite a bit of body language to communicate more energy and I get a pretty good workout too.

They are now fed and Tucker is tucked in for the night.

This weather, however, is getting tedious. The constant overcast reminds me of a Ray Bradbury short story: "All Summer in a Day." If you want to read it, it can be found here:
http://www.wssb.org/content/Classrooms/tate/content/freshman/All%20Summer%20In%20a%20Day/story.htm

By the by, my title quote is also a Ray Bradbury story which is really kind of fun...if you like being creeped out by science fiction stories. *G*

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous5:29 PM

    I adore edamame - either the beans themselves - I keep a bag in the freezer and quickly boil or microwave them - or the whole pods - what fun to squeeze the beans out of the salted pods! They do make a good salad as well. Have an excellent Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. but i'm with caroline - what?

    as for ray bradbury & sci fi .. love it.

    i suppose having the time recuparting after your op will give you a chance to catch up on your reading/dvd watching? since you won't be allowed to do anything else...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The edamame salad sounds delicious. Hope you have a great Thanksgiving with your friend tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Edamame are green soybeans. You can buy them frozen in the pod, or, as I prefer, shelled. They look like little green kidney beans. The nice thing about them is that they maintain their crunch. So they make a nice salad bean. They also stay a nice bright green color.

    I just steam them in the microwave until they thaw and get hot. My salad has the beans, corn, red pepper, onion, spices, olive oil and vinegar. The big plus is that the beans are really good for you too! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete