Thursday, December 27, 2007


Miserable Weather

It was one of those misty, drizzly mornings. It wasn't really cold, but the dampness made the existing cold go right through every bone in my body.

I fed the Boys and just after I got back into the house, who should pull in, but my farrier. I had called him yesterday to check to see if his Christmas package had arrived as I'd had problems with something else I ordered. I had casually mentioned that the Boys were about due for shoeing, but no rush and lo and behold, there he was the next morning.

I had my own trailer partially backed up to the barn in slow anticipation of gathering the strength and energy to unload the grain I'd bought. When Scott found out I had to unload it, he volunteered himself and his assistant, Kyle to do it for me! Yippee!! In about ten minutes the grain was in the feed room and I was able to move my rig out of the way so Scott could back in.

We had a really nice time talking as he shod Tuck and Toby and Kyle trimmed Chance. Kyle was really pleased because he said it was the first time he'd managed to get Chance trimmed on all four without any problems. Apparently Chance has a limited attention span and starts to fuss after about three feet are done. He is not very good about being corrected, as I too have noticed because he either gets scared or pulls a bit of a willful tantrum. I have seen hints of this in his training but haven't yet really pushed him so far that we have a real confrontation under saddle. I have seen it on the lunge or long lines, so I know it's there. I think it may just manifest itself in a "try to go the other way" instead of a Tucker Bucker fit, but I'll save that for another time.

The only trouble with all the conversation was that I was totally chilled to the bone and beyond by the time Scott left. I came back in, made a cup of tea and ended up under my polar fleece blanket with the gas fireplace on for several hours until I warmed up again.

By mid afternoon, the drizzle had fizzled, so I headed back out to ride Tucker. The ring was a soggy, puddly mess, so it wasn't the best ride. Twice, when I changed direction, Tuck balked, laid his ears back and really threatened when I tried to get him trotting again. It is either the fact that his stifle is still sore--so I may need the vet out again--or some ulcer action as a result of the change in his turnout because of the mud.

On the plus side, each time, I did get him going again, and a light tap of the whip behind the girth didn't seem to inspire "airs above the ground." Also a plus was that he was super going over the raised cavaletti--good for building up the stifle, and he did not act crabby about his canter departs. Something is definitely bothering him physically, and I opt first for the stifle at this point. If so, he is just going to have to push himself through it. I will ask the vet if there is something else to do at this point besides just legging him up.

After about a half hour of work, I took Tuck out for a super short hack in the woods, just looping the trail behind the barn. He was delighted as it gave him a chance to ignore me completely and stop to pull what little greenery is left on the vines off to eat. We may have to work on that, but I indulged him today as he has been so deprived of proper turnout and the potential browsing it affords.

The soggy slop kept me off the other two Boys. It's supposed to be kind of warmish the next few days, so I should get some work in on them, but right now getting Tucker's stifle in shape must be my priority.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely of your farrier to help...mine used to spend most of the time treating me like his agony aunt listing all his illnesses and problems:)

    Wet and drizzly here too although pretty mild.