Thursday, June 03, 2010

Repeat

On Another Hot Evening

Summer weather in early June does not bode well for what the real summer will bring. 

I did get my swim in today and yesterday, so I am developing more fitness and energy.  A friend told me it would be a year before I was fully recovered from my surgery, so perhaps that has slowed me down.  Hope so, as I really do need to get some good riding back in my schedule.

Yesterday I had a meeting with my political running mate so I had no time to do much more than feed the Boys and clean their stalls. 

Tonight, I did a repeat of the lungeing sessions with all three Boys.  Except that I pushed Tucker a bit more to energize him.  He got quite silly and let loose with a few bucks and a good stiff gallop around the circle, letting me know that he is feeling just fine! 

Toby was, as always, practically perfect in every way, except that when we first started out, the darn deerflies were attacking us both.  I took Toby in and gave him a good fly spray and for the rest of the workout, at least he didn't have deerflies in his hair--like I did.  Darn things. 

I did a lot of trot/canter/trot transitions with Chance and was quite pleased at how almost instantly obedient he was to my voice commands!  What a good boy.  I was able to count canter strides, ask for trot, get it, then count trot strides, get canter...etc. with some really good responses from him. 

Carrots all around, although I need to get a new bag.  And I was just at ShopRite tonight on the way home from school.  Didn't think of carrots!! I will remedy on the weekend.

Meanwhile, my hay guy brought me some hay to tide me over until his new delivery arrives and the feed store is having a 20% off sale on all feeds on the weekend.  Looks like a shopping trip for sure! 

5 comments:

  1. Standing up to try to improve the community in which you live is admirable. I voted my absentee ballot today. I can live with taxation, as long as I also get representation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous7:09 AM

    Glad you're working to benefit your community, although it's a lot of work.

    I hate deerflies - they're very painful for horse (and rider!).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet it does take a year to recover from major surgery. And it's not like you are focusing exclusively on yourself - there's work and caring for the horses and now your political life.

    Hate, hate, hate deerflies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. hot weather - ugh ugh ugh! We are lucky the here in southern Idaho (well, *I* am lucky) - still cool and rainy. I haven't started whining yet!
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete
  5. your friend is probably right about the time to recover, it was a major op

    ReplyDelete