Tuesday, July 05, 2011

So Far, So Good

Toby Update

While he is not exactly a happy camper by being locked in his stall, Toby seems to be doing well. He is moving about with ease and appears to be comfortable on his feet. Because he has the foam pads taped on to his feet, I have not taken him out to see how he is walking, but he does "bounce" around every now and then when the other horses go out to the pasture.

Hopefully, his calling to his herd has not disturbed my neighbors. He was whinnying last night when Tucker and Chance went out to the pasture to graze.

He is not eating well, however. With him, it's a pretty sure sign of emotional distress. He has never been a "stomach horse" motivated by feed. If Tucker were not eating that would be a different story, but Toby?? All he has to do is get a little upset and food is no longer on the agenda. He did clean up his hay, so that's good, and his water buckets were both down to about a quarter full, so he is drinking just fine.

We have a vet visit scheduled for Thursday at noon.  I called to Scott, my shoer, to let him know, but I haven't heard back from him yet.  My vet also sent Toby's X-rays and I forwarded them to Scott as well.

There is always a bit of consideration that needs to be taken when a vet prescribes a shoeing/hoof regimen that might not exactly agree with what the horseshoer wants to do.  I have utmost confidence in both my vet and farrier, so the ideal situation would be for them to confer and reach an agreement. But I did tell the vet that Scott's opinion has highest merit in my eyes.

Guess we will just have to wait and see how it all works out. No matter what, I am sure all parties, including me, have only Toby's best interests in mind.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:06 PM

    Glad he's feeling somewhat better - that's a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope he starts eating better. Good that he's finished his hay and is drinking. Sorry Toby's so upset. Dusty calls to the herd when they leave too, I feel bad for them.

    Luckily, my vet and farrier confer and they came up with natural balance shoes with pour in pads for Dusty. I'm sure your vet and farrier will do what's best for Toby. Good luck on Thursday. And thanks for the suggestions on my blog for interesting exercises.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to read that Toby is doing a little better. He sure sounds like he is upset being separated from the boys but I don't think you have much choice. Hopefully he will calm down and settle back to his feed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tetley is like that too - food is not the most important item on the agenda when he is unhappy about where he is. I hope the vet will allow Toby out. I imagine that Toby will only move as much as comfortable but knowing that he can be with his stable mates if he choses should make him content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thumbs up for Toby. Fingers crossed he doe snot need shoes, and his metabolic problems are under control.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad to hear he's feeling a bit better. Eating hay is a good sign, he needs something to fill his stomach to prevent ulcers.

    I'm sure the farrier and vet will be able to come up with something for him before your neighbors start complaining!

    ReplyDelete