Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hot Morning

But Then Came the Clouds

I got up around the same time, went out to feed the Boys and felt the heat. I'm not sure whether the temperature was hotter than yesterday, but without the breeze, and a lot of sunshine, it was too hot to ride. I'll have to try an hour earlier tomorrow.

Once I'd decided not to work the horses, I just kind of wasted time as I was going to meet a friend from school for lunch. We'd set it up before school closed as a kind of private retirement celebration. The Olive Garden has this neat little lunch deal with all you can eat soup, salad, and breadsticks. Yummy. I had their new chicken gnocchi soup and good company and conversation for the afternoon.

But, as we sat in the restaurant, the sky outside grew darker and darker and the wind was starting to pick up. I decided to go to the pool right away to get in my swim. (I have been swimming just about every day since school closed.) I had that timed perfectly. I got in my laps, rode the lazy river a few circuits, took my shower and headed home as the raindrops began to hit the car's windshield.

Got home and fed the Boys as thunder began to rumble in the west. I'm pretty sure the pool will be closing down for the night. It's kind of "spittering" rain off and on right now, but it still looks pretty ominous. I'll just wait it out to see if I can ride or lunge, but if not, I guess the Boys have the day off.

I apparently now have a resident wild turkey, or at least one that does not run away when I appear. I'm guessing it's a hen, but I'm not sure. At any rate, she's kind of hanging out in the back yard, not too far from the bird feeder and seems quite relaxed about my presence. I will try to get a picture of her when it's not raining.

If I do something with the Boys, I'll post tomorrow. Right now it doesn't look too promising out there.

Just checked the forecast. We are under a severe thunderstorm watch until at least 7 PM.

No comments:

Post a Comment