Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Phooey!

Computer Feed Overload

When it came time for President Obama's actual swearing in and his speech, there were millions of people signed on to the Internet feeds so that the whole system was overloaded. It kept buffering and suttering.

Now, I do have a television in my classroom supposedly hooked up to cable TV, but that never works. That left us with the really annoying Internet. And in the course of it all, I managed to miss the swearing in! But I did get to listen to most of his speech. And now that I am back home, I will keep watching the festivities.

What a relief to see former President Bush fly off in his heliocopter never to return as leader to the White House. Now we have a new beginning, new hope, a new perspective, and the start of a whole new era for our nation.

It was well below freezing in Washington. I can hardly imagine how those millions of people coped in the cold. The parade is going on and I am feeling great sympathy for all the marchers and musicians. I used to play in a marching band and know all too well how the cold weather can feel. But I have a feeling, all those people are bursting with so much pride and excitement they hardly notice.

Sorry to go on, but the last eight years have been so frustrating to me I cannot tell you. I rarely agreed with a single policy of our government's leaders and was more than once sorely disappointed by how much prestige and respect our nation lost.

Lots of the students at school were totally involved in all the day's news--except for my freshman class who happened to be in my classroom during the speech--and serious schoolwork just kind of shut down for the bulk of the day. Nice, actually. The historic events really mattered.

It wasn't any warmer here in New Jersey, and the ground, the snow, and general climatic misery linger on. The Boys don't seem to care much. They still had hay leftover from this morning where I'd put it out in the paddock. That always makes me happy as it shows I put more than enough out for them to keep them well fed while I wasn't there.

It is supposed to warm up as the week goes on. Maybe by the weekend I will be able to take down the outside lights too.

Cool, Crow Indians riding by on horseback. Lovely horses with lots of color. I'll report back if I see anything really neat.

2 comments:

  1. "What a relief to see former President Bush fly off in his heliocopter never to return as leader to the White House. Now we have a new beginning, new hope, a new perspective, and the start of a whole new era for our nation. "

    VERY Very well put. It is so nice to have a fresh start! I am so excited for this new beginning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My American friends here are over-the-moon too. Me i am an hard-core cynic, plus my bro is a "diplomat" I have beenn brought up in "politics".

    So enjoy your day, but the higher you go the lower you fall.

    Asa much as I would like to believe in Messiah, I am afraid world politics do not depend on one man. I feel like Mr Obama will do the right thing for the US, but not so sure for the rest of the world.

    Wait and see.

    ReplyDelete