Thursday, January 29, 2009

Make Me An Offer

As Long As It's A Lot

Stacie made her offer on the mare--a very reasonable one considering how difficult the horse is. Remember now, the teenager who owns the horse cannot ride her. She bucks her off, quits, and simply will not work. Stacie even has problems riding her well, but has the skills and the ability to learn how to get good work from her--over time, perhaps even more than a year of rehab.

Mother of teenager contacted Stacie back saying the offer was not enough as they'd paid nearly three times as much for the horse. Now, apparently, they have other people coming to look at the mare.

So, the horse is unrideable and useless to them, so she is worth at least what they paid--which is, by the way, a fair chunk of change? The horse is potentially dangerous to the teenager, but she is still worth a fortune? The horse needs serious retraining and mental adjustments and she is that expensive?

Prediction. Maybe horse will be sold for the money. Maybe horse will be bought by someone who knows how to cope. Maybe not. If not, there is trouble down the way and horse will end up in a bad place. No more said about that.

Stacie will be, hopefully, going up more north to look at another horse over the weekend. If it works out timewise, maybe I can go with her. We shall see.

All the wet snow and water froze last night. Fortunately the Boys have paddock area with snow cover enough that they can break through the top layer and have some traction so I left them out. They appeared to be being very careful. Parts of my arena look like a skating rink. The good news is that it's supposed to be sunny today and go above freezing, so perhaps we will get rid of some of the ice.

I am awaiting delivery of a new Ansur--the new dressage model--soon. I expect when it comes I will not be able to try it out. That happened when I got my first Ansur. That day the weather took a bad turn. I think I managed to walk Toby in it for all of five minutes. It was enough to tell me it felt good, but certainly not enough to do a good test ride. This time, no real test ride is needed as I am familiar enough with the Ansur to know my horses will be happy. But I am very curious about how this new saddle will feel.

This is a true dressage model instead of an all purpose/tendancy dressage. It has gotten really good reviews. Just my luck it will arrive on a day when I cannot try it out.

Only time will tell.

(In case this post is different, I kind of messed up with my original post, so this is a partial replacement.)

4 comments:

  1. I realy do not know Ansur only from the bad press they got from EE.

    Are their sadles all treeless?

    ReplyDelete
  2. mare's owner clearly hasn't looked at the credit crunch .....shame, as you say, that mare stands a chance of ending up in a VERY bad place

    hope the next one works out (or possibly someone will give teenager's mother a good talking to!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. mare's owner clearly hasn't looked at the credit crunch .....shame, as you say, that mare stands a chance of ending up in a VERY bad place

    hope the next one works out (or possibly someone will give teenager's mother a good talking to!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been riding in Ansurs for going on 9 years. The saddles are fantastic.

    I was invovled in the EE/Ansur dispute from the other side. Ansur was not entirely at fault, nor were they the complete "bad guys" as the EE site suggested. The whole story is far more complicated than it appeared.

    I was moderating and still moderate the Ansursaddle discussion board at Yahoo and tried to help sort out some of the hard feelings. Too bad it all happened. I am glad Heather is successful with her saddles now and things have settled down.

    Ansur makes a quality product and my horses love treeless. Yes, the saddles are all entirely treeless. Ansur makes many models including a western saddle.

    ReplyDelete