Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Surrender

I Cannot "Winterize" Myself Anymore

Didn't ride. No excuse. The wind was blowing, and it was cold.

Years ago, I would have declared this a perfect day for riding. The sun is now out and it looks quite nice out there, but the winds blows on. Not too strongly, but enough to give a fair wind chill.

It's OK, I keep telling myself. It will warm up. I will have more energy on other days, and more ambition.

I have finally decided on a home loan, so that's good. More yet to do on this with hopes it will all work out as I am planning.

The solar energy system is very expensive. It will supply the electricity for my house and perhaps some extra. This all gets sent into the electric company's grid and I get credit as an energy supplier. I will cancel my own electric bill, perhaps get some money back at the end of the year, and be able to sell my energy credits to someone who needs to get credit for green energy without having a green energy system.

Potentially, I could pay off my investment in 7-8 years, sooner if the price of energy continues to rise. And, I will feel that I am doing something to help the environment.

Have an Agricultural Board meeting to attend tonight to get caught up on what's going on with farming and farmland in our area. We have so little left we need to do all we can to protect and preserve it.

It is such a shame because the land around here was/is some of the best farm soil in the whole country. As I go to school in the morning, I must drive past ugly warehouse walls being built on what used to be over 100 acres of prime farmland. It is the last good acreage along that road as every other farm has fallen to industrial development in the form of warehouses. This was prime farmland all through this area. It is so sad.

We are still trying to preserve the last remaining large farm on my side of the NJ Turnpike. Luckily the farm adjacent to my property was preserved as parkland back in the 1970's. Some of that land provides my horse pasture and the rest grows corn and some wheat.

I am blessed with that land on one side, the rest of the State Park on two other sides and across the road, the no longer working sand company with a huge lake. It really is a beautiful location for a home. And with the Boys here, it's nearly perfect.

2 comments:

  1. It's like that this time of year Jean. Spring is so "just around the corner" that I can't be bothered to ride on a day that I would consider really good in mid-December. Cut yourself some slack, you work full time, too.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're getting older jean - and as caroline says, working full time does take it out of us! she's only got a broken shoulder, much less tiring! ;-)

    ReplyDelete