Saturday, May 12, 2007

Lots Done

Another Busy Day

I started working in the bedroom sorting clothes and managed to fill four big bags for the clothing drives.

The job is not done, but I needed to go get grain so I left it for another day and headed off to the feed store. On the way back home, I stopped at the hardware store where they were having a big sale on gas grills. I bought a neat little Weber grill so I can do some outdoor cooking this summer. It's very portable, and a nice size.

Back home, I unloaded the grain and then started on the lawn. This time I did the trimming first, took a break, fed the Boys and went back out to finish with the riding mower.

Only then did a take the time to ride. I worked Tucker for about a half hour, concentrating on his balance and mine. I did a lot of canter walk canter transitions, and finished up working a circle alternating leads so that half the work was in counter canter. That really helped him get more balanced, especially on the right lead.

Then I took Chance out on the lines. My sole goal was getting him to take the right lead canter working on both lines. It is very interesting to watch him on the right rein. He falls a bit on to the inside shoulder which blocks his stride so that he takes the left lead instead. I could get him correctly balanced but he doesn't canter immediately on command, so what happens is that I ask for the canter and by the time he responds, the balance is on the wrong leg again. It did take a bit of work, but finally, I got him to make four or five canter departs on the right, so it was enough. I praised him mightily and took him back in.

I am pretty sure the bumps were a reaction to bugs, possibly mosquitos. The Azium worked wonders, but I did give him another dose tonight as he had a few little bumps left.

Despite the bumps, Chance's coat is shiny and gorgeous. As a matter of fact, both Toby and Tucker are gleaming as well. Since they are now all wearing fly sheets, they will be less likely to bleach out in the sun and keep their shimmer.

Sometimes I just stand and look at them with a big grin on my face. I am so lucky to have such a nice little herd.

No comments:

Post a Comment