Friday, July 11, 2008

Bless the Lawnmower Men

They Came Today

Both lawn tractors are at the mower hospital. I had the Bolens running before the guys came, but then shut it off and when the guys got here, it would not start since the battery is very, very dead. We hand pushed it out to the truck and they loaded it with the winch. John Deere behaved well and loaded just fine.

So that task is underway.

I was all achy and sore this morning when I got up. I made a chiroprator appointment and got good adjustment after which I felt SO much better. Then I went to get my hair cut. When I saw Caroline's picture in hospital, I realized she wears her hair nearly as short as mine. It's very practical when you do a lot of work with the horses. Today, though I asked my hairdresser to cut it even shorter. It feels so good in the hot weather and is great for both the riding and the swimming.

Came home, watched the rerun of the latest stage of the Tour de France, wrote a letter we needed for a grant for the State Park and our preservation efforts, and let much of the afternoon slip by.

As the sun began to set and it started to cool off--around 90 F today--I took some carrots out to the pasture to do some "catching" with the Boys. I was mugged. Trying to get rid of them was the new problem.

They followed me back to the barn so I haltered Tucker and took him out for a lunging session. After the flat work, I set up a jump with the barrels--about 2'3". He headed for it and stopped dead. It was not a dirty stop, but rather one of total confusion. We tried again and he stopped, stood there and then looked at me to say, "Uhm, I don't know how to do this." I solved the problem by setting up a one foot take off jump one stride before the barrels. He scrambled a little the first time through, but figured it out quickly and did some lovely bold, and correct jumping on the left rein. For the right rein, I simply used a trotting pole set to give him the correct stride to the fence. Again, he was bold, fluid and lovely over the barrels. And to top it off, he seemed quite pleased with himself.

Toby gave me a little game of catch me, and was reluctant leading into the arena. But once in, he did his usual excellent flat work. Then, over the barrels, without either the little jump or the pole, he was simply wonderful. Tonight he was relaxed, and not at all rushy into the jump. I always marvel at how athletic he is over a fence. I never really tested him to see how high he could go since my jumping days were over when I got him, but he certainly looks as if he could handle some size. I just enjoy watching him.

Called it a night at that since I'd lunged Chance last night and it was getting dark.

Everyone got another carrot and I'm back in the air conditioning.

1 comment:

  1. I've had my hair short since I was about 18. I couldn't manage riding with a hat on every day and looking after my hair too - I can't be bothered with the effort of washing and blowing it dry all the time. This way I wash it and run my fingers through it and it dries in the air. Much easier all round.