Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Here's The Plan

Rode Today

Tucker was fine today except for being convinced there was a horse eating monster in the woods at "M." So we never did quite get anything like parts of the test there. *sigh*

Anyhoo....I kind of rode through tests 3 & 4 my two tests for the show. He did not offer to balk even when I put him on the bit. I didn't push him to the higher frame as much as I can, but I did push. Aside from his being totally distracted by the wood nymph or satyr or fangtail (white tailed deer) he was pretty darn good.

I have decided to at least go to the show. Why?

My times are not until the afternoon. Test 3 at 2:09 and Test 4 at 3:39. That's good. The classes are close together and they are in Tucker's two favorite rings, on the hill away from the action. This is all good. I really don't need the stall, which was a worry, unless I have to hang around for results and by then the rides will be over and he has no need to worry about getting ridden again. He can just chill out in a nice stall for the extra time. The classes are small, with a max of 8 riders, so it means it won't take all day for them to run and be scored.

The Horse Park is only about a half hour to 4 minutes away and a very easy drive, so that's no big deal either.

If he continues to go as he did tonight, I am sure we can get through the tests. He knows them both and has a lot of confidence in the movements. I won't ask for a lot on the canter lengthenings or expect wonders on the trot lengthenings so there's no pressure there. The rest is a piece of cake. One nice thing he did tonight was jump right into a forward canter when I asked instead of taking a few strides to get into a good rhythm.

The two rings and the time have made a big difference in my decision. If anything deteriorates over the next few schooling sessions, I can, of course still change my mind, but as of now, I really would like to try.

It is the year end championships and the first time I have qualified. (Eastern States Dressage and Combined Training Association) Nothing national or all that big, but an honor nonetheless.

If Tuck doesn't want to do it, I am sure he will let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Good for you. You ought to go.
    I am sure with some Antacid, Tucker will be okay.

    I hope you will have great fun. You deserve it!!!

    ReplyDelete