Sunday, September 16, 2007

Another Beautiful Day

Three on a Hack

I took Toby out on a longish ride, going back to the flooding area to find, to my delight, that I could acutually ride the whole trail under the powerlines and back along the edge of the cornfield.

The water has dried up because we haven't had any substantial rains recently. Of course Toby thought this was great as there were all kinds of grasses and plants to munch on along the way. We did have two major spooks as birds flew up out of the corn, but I managed to stay on despite the 180 degree spins. Guess I'm a little to used to them by now. Expecting them does not make riding him fun, but it surely does keep me involved in every stride.

Next up was Tucker who, after his truly successful lesson was quite proud of himself and absolutely determined that I pay attention to him. We took the woods trail he has mastered and he behaved impeccably.

I saddled up Chance last, and took him on the middle distance ride through the woods, still only about 20 minutes tops, but a nice little relaxing hack. He was as good as gold but funny as ever since he tried to turn down every side trail we passed. If he were more fit, I'd let him explore a bit, but at this point I don't want to get him either too tired or, worse, sore.

So, all in all it was a nearly perfect horsey afternoon. I loved every minute.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Toby sounds familiar,totally identify with anticipating these things you get used to it but it tends to put you on your guard.My old YO used to say most of the people on his farm wouldnt have been able to get Polo off the yard,you have to 'ride' them all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it dried for the first time in god knows how long. I bet that grass was delish too after all that water!

    ReplyDelete