Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Rain, Rain, Go Away...

Soggy New Year

It rained all day yesterday.

So, both the horses and I kind of hung out inside. My ring was flooded in the few low spots and it looked as if the drainage ditch into the groundhog hole by the fence might have even been filled to the brim. I'll know better this afternoon as the sun is out and the water will have found its way to wherever it goes.

The other low spots are still a problem even though we put some fill in them. They don't interfere too much with riding as they are off the track, but I do get tired of them. More fill may help or just force the water to find someplace else to settle. My arena was not especially graded when it was built and is suprisingly rideable in all but the wettest weather or when it freezes up.

My dream would be to do a bit of regrading and then add some rubber shavings to the sand, but the pricing for that is way out of range at the moment. So, for now, I really can't complain too much. Most of the year, I have a nice sand surface to ride on, and while not perfect, it certainly is excellent for schooling.

The weather is still unusually warm here with the temperatures going up into the 50 degree f range and even near 60 degrees later in the week. That means it's likely I will need to take the sheets off the Boys for the day. Since really lightweight sheets have not yet arrived, they will end up naked. Lovely for all involved until they decide to roll in the mud.

I am not looking forward to that.

Back to work at school today and I think I am coming down with a cold. I may not ride tonight, if I don't feel a bit better. I guess I will just wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment