Thursday, January 04, 2007

For the Want of a Shoe

Short Ride With a Boot (Wednesday Evening)

I can't seem to quite find a boot to use on Tucker when he loses a shoe.

I have an old Mac I can't get on him even though it should be his size. I have EasyBoots in several sizes, but the one that should have fit was too small. The next size up stayed on for all of about two circles in the arena.

I had taped his foot with duct tape, so he had some protection for at least another turn before than too fell off. Luckily he was perfectly sound. We had a short, but productive school where I worked on canter trot transitions and just kept him forward.

My wonderful farrier was here this morning (Thursday) to replace the missing shoe, so all is well for the rest of the week.

Chance and I went out on a trail ride again. He's just so much fun out there. He is the only horse I've ever ridden who goes faster walking away from home than back. As a matter of fact, as soon as we turn up the trail heading for the gate and the barn, he slows down noticeably, almost like the reluctant schoolboy.

Before long, we will have explored most of the trails out back. I guess I'd better start training him to trailer load and ride so I can take him places. He is definitely an adventurer.

No comments:

Post a Comment