Tuesday, September 15, 2009

The Joys of Retirement

Surprise Visit From My Farrier!

Early in the afternoon as I was just kind of sitting around doing nothing, the phone rang. It was Scott, my farrier. He said the Boys were due for shoeing and if it was OK with me, he'd be able to come in about an hour or so. He said he'd forgotten to call earlier.

Ah, so now the truth comes out about retirement! Now that I'm home more often than not, I can schedule all these "horsey" appointments almost anytime it's convenient for everyone!

I went out to the barn, brought the Boys in, swept the aisle, then went out to poo pick the arena just to keep busy. It was darn hot out there and I got pretty sweaty too. Summer still has us in its grip. The only difference is that the humidity seems to have vanished for the most part, so it's not quite so uncomfortable. Still, it was the kind of day that makes me miss the swimming pool--closed for the season.

Scott arrived soon after and for the rest of the afternoon, I alternately sat talking to him as he worked, and playing the endless game of "fetch" with his border collie. I have decided we can end the energy crisis simply by harnessing border collie perpetual motion to operate our power plants. Scott says sometimes he has to stop Mick from playing. He just keeps going and going even after he is actually worn out. I decided Mick thinks I am just some wonderful toy when he comes here. But he is adorable and really well behaved, so it's a pleasure to have him visit with his "dad" the farrier.

Not sure if I will work the Boys at all tonight. The possible lesson for the weekend has been canceled, so I don't have to worry about that. Things had gotten a bit complicated anyhow, so it's just as well.

At least, for the moment, everyone's feet are fine. We are keeping an eye on Tucker, though. First because when he pulled his shoe the other day, he did some damage to his hoof, so I need to watch that. And, one of his hind feet has a pretty bad crack that needs to be monitored. The constant wet/dry/super wet/somewhat dry/wet/very dry weather did a number on him. If it gets any worse or doesn't show signs of improvement by the next shoeing, we will need to put back shoes on him again. And, I need to keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't go any higher to his coronary band.

Just one more thing to worry about.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:31 PM

    Retirement is nice for that - I agree - my farrier is due tomorrow a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nice to be able to be home and see what goes on all day and the added bonus is you had a fun dog to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad about the pool--but at least this way, no one's questioning your inappropriate swimwear. ;-)

    ReplyDelete