Sunday, September 27, 2009

Ah, Phooey!

Rain and Then Humid

So far today's weather has been less than inspirational. It was raining in the morning when I went to church, raining when I went out to lunch, and gray when I got home. For some reason I needed about an hour's nap, so I took one, and when I got up the sun was out. But when I went out to feed the Boys, it was warm and muggy...not nice at all.

Tucker was out in the front paddock and when he came in, I noticed some welts on him--bug bites, flies, I presume. I was stomping a little in the stall so I put his flysheet back on and sprayed his legs with some fly spray. Toby and Chance seemed fine, so they are still naked, although I did put the stall fans on again, just to blow any determined flies out the door.

It rained enough to make everything soggy, so I am not likely to do anything with the Boys tonight. And, if Tucker's bumps are any indication, I suspect the woods is not bug free today either.

My neighbor called to tell me about the hunter's blind in the woods. He too is worried because the door through which Mr. Hunter will shoot aims directly at my pasture. Apparently a new law passed the New Jersey legislature this year changing the "safety zone" around barns and silos from 450' to 150' for bow hunters. So that means this blind is in legal distance. But the law was explained that bow hunters usually shoot at targets within 30 feet or so and mostly from a tree stand up high, so their arrows go down into the ground if they miss. Now, I'm worrying. This hunter, if he's a bowman, will not be shooting down but straight ahead. While there are quite a few trees between my pasture and his blind, an arrow still could go through.

My neighbor called me on the phone today, worried as well. He suggested I call the game warden on Monday to see what he says. The land is State property, so I really have no recourse if all is legal here. I just wonder why he has to shoot towards the houses instead of away. Maybe we could work a deal where he puts the blind closer to my property so he shoots in the opposite direction? While I don't really like hunting and could never do it myself, I have to respect the laws here and since it is legal, I need to try to make it safe for everyone, especially my Boys.

I am also guessing the blind is for deer hunting as the only animals it is legal to bait are the deer. Unfortunately, New Jersey's rampant development has forced an over population, so hunting has become a necessary evil. I do not see hundreds of deer in the park, though, nor do I see a lot of deer damage to the cornfields or the vegetation, so I am pretty sure the parkland can sustain its population. But again, if it's legal in the State in areas that need to cull the herds, it's usually legal everywhere, so our deer too have to suffer the consequences.

I just don't want my horses to suffer too.

7 comments:

  1. The woods near me here in Texas are full of deer blinds and deer baits. But it is about the only place I can ride except up and down the street, so during bow season I feel ok, but rifle season is about to start and it may be riskier. Maybe I should wear an orange vest. I'm not a hunter (tho I am pro-hunting) but I do like to make fun of the hunters like those here in Texas who use blinds and baits. That isn't allowed in Colorado - where REAL hunters have to track thier game all over those mountains (THEY earn thier trophy). All a part of sharing public lands (part of the BLM/mustangs/cattle/oil&gas/etc debate) like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think i'd be inclined to leave him a note suggesting a meeting so you can suggest s/he turn it round, as well as putting hi viz on the horses, and calling the game warden! even the game warden will want SAFE hunting and not have the local horse owners suing the state ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think i'd be inclined to leave him a note suggesting a meeting so you can suggest s/he turn it round, as well as putting hi viz on the horses, and calling the game warden! even the game warden will want SAFE hunting and not have the local horse owners suing the state ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a call in to my neighbor farmer who might know who the hunter is. If not, I will put the note in the blind. I would be willing to help him relocate so it faces the other way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous6:11 PM

    There are safety vests for horses, but I don't know if they're the sort of thing you could leave on in turnout. I like your solution of getting him to shoot in a different direction - arrows can go a long way if they miss their target.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it would be good to have a meeting with this hunter also. If he shot in the other direction it would be much safer for the horses and you too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definetely call the our worries OFFICIAL.

    Then Ask your neighbour-farmer if he knows the person.

    Here it is well known that during rifle hunting season, they shoot anything even if your wear bright jacket on.

    It is really not a moment of the year when I go walking or hacking. Too dangerous.

    ReplyDelete