Saturday, October 13, 2007

He is a Big One


Radar is All They Say He Is

One BIG horse! 2600 pounds. 19.31/2 hands. He is a red roan Belgium.

He has a buddy, an Australian Heeler, named "Hoss." Sweet dog, almost the same color as Radar. They go everywhere together. Rebel, a 19 h black Percheron was there too. He is only 4, so I figure he's going to grow too, but Radar was the star of the show. Apparently, all he does for his living is pose for the crowds.


He is very mellow, according to his handlers, and his feet are 9" across. They always have to call ahead when they are going to show him to make sure the doorways and ceilings are high enough. He would never fit through the doors of my barn. When he's there you can't touch him or get up close as they keep two sets of corral panels up. Those panels are 5' high, so it gives you a feeling for how tall he is.


Here I am standing in front of the display. Excuse the face, but that's me.

OK, enough of the big horse. Now to the much smaller 16.3 h Tucker.

Had a nice school in the ring and once again, Tucker was very agreeable and cooperative. I am not sure exactly how elevated I had him, but he felt good and had no trouble handling repeated half halts. Nor did he fuss about trying some half pass and both the trot and the canter. Nor did he fume at attempting some baby canter pirouettes and a half-hearted "ask" for a flying change. We were not where near getting it, but he was not in the least upset about trying.

Only once, after a walk break did he pin his ears, but it was easily correctable with a light touch of the whip. Right now, I think it's mostly a habit he needs to learn to break. As far as the rest of the ride went, he was ready, willing, and able to try everything I asked, no matter how inept I was in posing the questions. I am still smiling.

Chance definitely needs some serious work on his steering. Before his long layup, I had really made some progress, so the basic concept is there, but it is very unsteady. Still, he gave me some lovely trot work and, even more exciting, some more canter! This time we went 3/4 of the way around the ring on the left lead. Then we struck off on the wrong lead going right, so I took him back down to the trot, softened him a little and he took the right lead and cantered on it for about 1/2 of the arena. Now, mind you, we really didn't have much accurate steering, but we cantered and it felt good. At that, I climbed off and gave him a ton of praise and a great big hug.

I lunged Toby instead of riding him. What can I say? He is just great in hand either on the single lunge line attached to a halter, or on the long lines in bit and bridle. I love to watch him go. He has a nice relaxed, long, and supple looking stride. He just makes it all look so easy.

I need to make some sort of schedule or plan about working the Boys now that the weather has broken out into fall. I do need to get Chance trained to a better degree, I'd like to move Tucker up at least one level, if not two in dressage, and I want to keep Toby moderately fit.

I do have ring lights when the time changes and the clocks go back, so if the weather holds, I don't really have any excuses, but I know my body and energy have a limit. Sometimes after a day at school, I am just worn out.

I guess that's the frustration of earning my horses and a place to keep them. It took a long time, and now I am old enough to to suffer for it. *Sigh*

3 comments:

  1. Great photos Jean. I like Radar ^-^

    How do you do for riding your horses in the Winter?
    Do you have an arena closed by? Or is your arena fairly good to be ridden in any weather?

    I like the way you are ambitious with your horses. Way to go ^-^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Look it's JEAN hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. i dunno, i think i felt a bit sorry for Radar - standing there all alone, no possibility of contact whilst " on display". i don't normally have such thoughts at all, maybe it's that photo of him behind you and the distance/perspective thing....

    ReplyDelete