Friday, March 11, 2011

Oh, My Goodness!! Japan!

My Nephew is There

Just read a Facebook post from my nephew who was stuck in a subway in Tokyo when the earthquake struck! He reported that he is OK and hopefully will stay so.

The pictures of the tsunami aftermath are devastating. Now tsunami warnings are out for Hawaii and the US West Coast.  I certainly hope people will take precautions and stay safe!

The pictures of the water pouring over Japan are terrible with tons and tons of debris sweeping across farmland, homes, and roadways. I just saw a tractor trailer simply lifted and floating away.

The people of Japan are in my prayers, as is, of course, my nephew.

Most recent Facebook post from my nephew:
This is surreal. All of our phone lines are jammed but Facebook via my iPhone is working, so I can report that Tokyo seems okay right now. All public transport is stopped and I was lucky they evacuated us from the subway in time. Now walking the long two hours home from Ginza. The whole city is walking actually. So so weird. Very sad to hear about places further north.


Update from Japan:
To all dear friends and family outside Japan who are checking in on the situation here in Japan: I am safe as are all my loved ones here. The images you are seeing on TV are mainly broadcasts of the severe earthquake-related disasters up north in Miyagi, Iwate, and Aomori Prefectures. Tokyo did suffer a very strong earthquake and we're still experiencing aftershocks (just felt one now), but we're managing.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:09 AM

    So glad he's OK - very scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad he is okay. Thanks for our technology to be in touch with him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear that your nephew is OK. The news is just heart-breaking.

    I just heard that there has been another quake. I do hope that he is safe, and I hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm happy to hear that your nephew and his loved ones are safe. What an amazing thing to be able to communicate to the U.S. via his phone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's terrible and awesome at the same time - the power of nature - whether it be an instantaneous occurrence or a year long drought...

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad he's ok - and they got them out of that subway ok!

    ReplyDelete