Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Wind on the Way

Another Nice Day But Still Too Wet

Puddles still abound in the arena, as I suspected. It will be warmer again today and the wind is supposed to pick up, so that should help dry things out. There was just a trace of rain last night.

I put the light sheets back on the Boys this morning. Hopefully with the wind, they will be comfortable and not too hot.

The best part of the thaw is that my water hose is working again and I no longer have to carry buckets to fill the Boys' trough. This makes doing the morning feed a lot easier and less time-consuming.

Not much else to report except that last night, as I lay in bed my brain began to think about what I would do if I were rich. (I guess the current economic crisis and the huge bonuses some of those bankers were given was preying on my mind.) I would buy a farm with about a 20 stall barn and lots of nice pasture land. My Boys would stay home with me, where I would add a roof over my arena, and the additional farm would be filled with rescue horses.

I have in mind a good farm manager if he's still around who would live on the property. I'd make sure the rescues had the best of care, and if they were sound and recovered a good chance at being adopted to good homes--or simply kept at my farm to live happily. I figured 20 would be manageable as more starts to make the work and finances a problem.

The guy who runs the local horse auction has a good eye for a horse and the kind of "secret" soft spot for a horse that deserves a chance, so he would probably be able to pick the rescues for me. I'm not sure I could do it myself as I'd end up bringing every single critter home with me.

Frankly, I don't know how the rescuers who go to the auctions can handle it. It is so sad to see horses thrown away by their owners just because they have gotten old or no longer been good enough to win--in the show or on the track.

OK, I won't go on with this. There are other blogs that deal with it far better than I ever will. (www.fuglyhorseoftheday.blogspot.com)

But that's my dream.

I wish it could come true.

1 comment:

  1. i'll agree with the farm/land/stables/arena (indoor & out!)

    dunno if i'd run a rescue though, don't think i'd have the stomach for it.

    ReplyDelete