Saturday, November 25, 2006

The Hunters Did Me In

Found a Beagle

I went out to work the horses this afternoon and found a little lost beagle bedded down in my hay barn.

Poor little fellow was all tuckered out and quite happy to see a human. He had an ID tag, but when I called the phone number it was a disconnect. Then I called information on the address and still got nowhere. That left me no alternative but to call the police. Apparently the animal control officer was not available today, Saturday, so the little guy is locked in my garage with nice bed, a bucket of water and a tummy full of leftover beef stroganoff. I only have cat food about, so I hope someone comes to get him. If not, I will go get some proper dog food until the animal control officer comes.

I took a drive around the country block and left notes on all the trucks I saw parked in the usual hunter spots, but it's dark now and no one has come by to claim him. I took off his shock collar, but left the ID one on. The police have all the information that's on it. I can only hope his owner comes looking for him tomorrow. He's not happy in the garage, but at least he's safe.

So, that left me precious little time before dark to work the Boys. I lunged Chance and Tucker with the side reins...very loose for Chance and tucked up for Tucker.

Had to laugh at Chance. On the right rein, not his favorite, he pulled a quick 180 and tried to escape. I had good control on the lunge line and got him back on track pretty quickly, but he surely was a clever guy pulling a quick stop and a roll back to change direction. Looks like he could have a cutting horse future. *lol*

I finally talked to his real human mom, Lauranne. I have assured her he is in good hands and she has promised to send me some pictures of his horsey mom and of him as a foal. That will really be fun as I have never had baby pictures of any of the horses I've owned. I have promised to keep her updated both through this blog and snail mail. I know how hard it was for her to give him up for adoption, but I always try to do the best for my horses, so Chance has a good home here.

Apparently, he had been backed an ridden a little before he came here. That's good because I gives me all the more confidence that his quietness is real and not just confusion. He is a sweetie.

Thanksgiving goes on forever here at Follywoods. My Boys are the best!

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:55 PM

    "Had to laugh at Chance. On the right rein, not his favorite, he pulled a quick 180 and tried to escape. I had good control on the lunge line and got him back on track pretty quickly, but he surely was a clever guy pulling a quick stop and a roll back to change direction. Looks like he could have a cutting horse future. *lol*"

    now what do you think that reminds me of? .....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Uhm.....Molly? *G*

    Many horses are "left hoofed." If no one bothers to school them out of it, it can become a chronic problem.

    I've read that it has something to do with how they are positioned inside the mare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:17 PM

    yes, i think i read that somewhere as well.....

    ReplyDelete