As predicted, rain arrived today, although from my account it was a bit earlier than forecast--sometime before 11AM instead of at noon. I'm always amazed when the forecasts are so accurate anyhow, so what's one hour?
It is a cold rain too, with chilly temperatures hovering just above freezing.
I had some nice lightweight winter blankets on the Boys, so I simply put their rainsheets on over top. The extra insulation will help protect them from the chill, and it certainly does make me feel better. And isn't that what horse blankets are all about anyhow? Aside from a few exceptions, most horses would probably be just fine without blankets as long as they have enough food, water, and adequate shelter.
But, my Boys have sheets, blankets, rainwear, and bug wear. Of all, I do think they appreciate the bugwear, and on days like today, I would have to think they might appreciate the rainwear.
Then again, where were they when I got home from church? Sheltering in one of the three run in sheds? Nope? Out in the middle of the pasture on a hill, totally exposed to the elements. Go figure.
One of my trainers theorized that horses prefer being out in the open because it allows them the freedom to see all around them, satisfying their natural instincts to be ready to flee from danger. As well, they don't like the sound of the rain on the roof, or the wind creaking through the rafters very much so the barn is not a haven after all.
Beats me. All I know is that even with my own raingear on, standing outside in weather like this is miserable.
I'll have to wait to see how much thaw there is in the ground. If we end up with mud, then Tucker will once again be on restricted turnout. I do think I will be putting him in his stall for the night to let his feet dry out, however. I don't want him to lose a shoe if I can do anything about it.
The rain is not really heavy so far, so we may luck out. I guess one more time it's just a matter of "wait and see."