Sunday, September 25, 2011

At Last

PT Begins

I had my first PT session yesterday and it made a huge difference. The biggest result was that my physical therapist did some deep massage on my leg muscle and got rid of the dreadful knots that were causing the muscle to tighten. It's not yet perfect but SO much better.

I won't bore you with the exercises I did, as they are fairly standard for knees and the same ones I did in the rehab center. I was pleased to find that I could manage some of them with my right leg that I could not do in the hospital, so there was definite progress, even before the massage.

Around the house, I am walking with neither cane nor crutches, but I do use the crutches when I go out.

This morning, my horse sitter put Tucker out on the arena for me--we have mud and he has his shoe issues. I went out a bit later to fly spray him and only used the one crutch on the way out and none at all for a little while when I was handling him. Needless to say, I was very careful, but it did feel good to get some real work done.

So far, the Boys seem to be careful with me, so that's good. I will have to be careful in turn as I cannot make any fast moves to get out of the way.

It's warm, damp, and just rather miserable outside, I must confess. Summer is lingering and it is not pleasant at all.  Here's hoping we get some cooler fall weather sooner than later.

5 comments:

  1. I am glad you are feeling better ^-^ I am sure you will be riding soon, you such a toughie ^-^

    (((((hugs)))))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you're making such good progress. Being fit to begin with makes things so much easier!

    The weather is quite yucky, you couldn't have picked a better time for a lay up. This sticky humidity just sucks the motivation right out of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to hear that you're feeling better and going to P.T. Love the massages, they do make you feel better.

    This weather is so miserable the horses and I don't feel like working on anything. It's a good time to be out of commission. Hope we get some decent weather soon and the flies take a powder. Nice that you got to play with Tucker for a little bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:55 PM

    Glad the PT is helping - I expect you're a highly motivated patient. And so happy you made it out to see the horses - that must feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am delighted to hear that you can do some exercises that you couldn't do in rehab even before the massage. How often will you to to PT? Amazing - that you are walking around the house with no cane or crutch!

    We have had a resurgence of summer as well. But it can't last too much longer, can it? And we will get nice weather before the cold and snow, won't we?

    ReplyDelete