Monday, March 02, 2015

Second Invitation

And Jaws 2

Ok, Winter. Enough already. This time it was a layer of snow overlaid with a layer of ice.

I did not plow. Not sure if I am going to. The sun is out and it's supposed to warm up during the day. I am going to monitor the driveway in hopes that the stuff will melt on its own. If, by around 2PM or so it doesn't It may soften up enough to plow and I'll go out and take a few swipes.

Again, not a major storm, but just enough to pass the point of being really annoying to really, really annoying. And it keeps freezing up solid again at night, just aggravating the situation.

As for Jaws 2?  Somebody ripped Chance's blanket yesterday. Two neat angular tears in the butt area. Now, just who could that be? Tucker the Avenger? Toby the Innocent?

I went out with needle and thread and did a quick stitch repair job while Chance was eating his hay. Not, I suppose the safest horse handling technique, but it worked just fine. He stood still, and I sewed.

It's a minimal repair job, but there's a chance the weather may break over the next week or so and if it does, I can take his blanket off and do a proper job. Fortunately all the pieces are there, so it should heal nicely. I am rather a bit short on replacement blankets at the moment, but I'm sure I could rig something up if the tatters continue.

Again, yesterday was one of those days when I feel better when the Boys are blanketed. It was cold snowy, rainy, sleety, and wet. When I got home from church the Boys were standing out in the arena, completely unsheltered.

I put some hay in their stalls and they were quite content to come in to eat.

Once again, it made me feel better knowing they were under the roof, inside.

At least twice a day--I feed three times a day--I've been soaking the Boys' grain in hot water. It does give them some extra water and again, I think it makes me feel better.

I suspect they'd rather be out grazing.

Frankly, at this point, I'd rather they'd be out grazing. I had a dream it suddenly warmed up and all the snow melted at once. Beneath it was lush green grass.

One can only hope.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:52 AM

    Our weekend was pretty nice - hey, we even made it to 20!

    More glop on the way - snow, sleet, freezing rain - tomorrow, and then back into the deep freeze - lows below zero and highs in the teens. Sigh . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell you how annoyed this winter has made me too. Yesterday we got another 7-8 inches of snow. Today it made it up to 34. Tomorrow back to freezing rain etc. Enough!

    Hope your dream comes true in a hurry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That green grass is making it's way towards spring. I know it because today, when I rode Bear, he was shedding so spring must be around the corner.

    ReplyDelete