Saturday, February 06, 2010

Winter Bummer

A Bit of Luck--Good and Bad

Where to start? Yes, we are still in the midst of a snowstorm here, but I think it's easing off. We may have 8-10 inches, which is pretty good considering that places to the south of us had over two feet of snow.

It did, however, blow into my barn in several places including Toby's and Tucker's stalls. Not a lot of snow, but enough to coat the shavings. The Boys seem to be hanging out under the run in sheds and in the stalls for the most part, so that's good for them.

So, the amount of snow seems to be the good luck.

The Bad? I managed to wreck my car's rear tail gate last night in my efforts to set up for the storm. I needed to take some hay over to the barn, so I put four bales in back of the car. The hatchback door/tailgate was up. It was dark, I could not see well behind because of the hay, and I THOUGHT I was much farther over to the left than I actually was. I started to back up and heard a dreadful "Crunch" as the edge of the door hit the evergreen tree trunk.

Hopes were dashed after I unloaded the hay to find out that the gate was so bent it will no longer shut. I had to tie it closed from inside the car. Double, triple BUMMER!!! I have no idea what it's going to cost to fix it, but it's not going to be cheap, that's for sure. Fortunately, I do have collision insurance on my cars, so the bulk of the repair will be paid for.

My friend has recommended a good body shop close by run by a former classmate of mine, but I certainly can't take the car there today. I guess that leaves Monday.

It's sad, as I love my little car--Toyota Matrix, with OK brakes and accelerator. I am fortunate to also have the truck to drive, so when the little guy is laid up in the car hospital, I'll be able to get around just fine.

It was one of those stupid moments we all regret.

I guess I'll just have to blame it on the weather. *sigh*

6 comments:

  1. i was just looking at th ephotos of DC on the BBC news website - you've got off lightly with only 10 inches! isn't that a mad thing to say?

    shame about the truck; may not be as expensive as you fear? but check the excess on your policy before you get a price on the repair - over here, they insist you go to their own approved bodyshop, even though it's no different to any other! (i reckon myself its something to do with kickbacks for the business, but what would i know...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor car!. I'm the queen of running into things on my own property. The insurance company loves me. *L*

    We're at three feet and still in nearly white out conditions. This is the most snow I've ever seen in my life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently read about a movement in France to cut down all the trees lining the roads. Apparently the trees are being blamed for French driver's crashing into them. At least you didn't try to blame the tree.

    (Aside: Hubby managed to impale a rental car on the tree stump in front of our house. That takes real talent!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were so lucky and the storm passed us by completely.All I can say is it's about time, we've gotten clobbered by storms they didn't even predict. Sorry you got so much to deal with.

    It's a shame about the car but I'm sure it will be fixed as good as new soon. I've done things like that, the last one was backing into the snow pile from the plowing of the driveway and really denting the bumper badly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bummer about the car - but it was a very safe collision! That's life - stuff like that happens to everyone so don't feel bad.

    I bet the snow is beautiful! Enjoy your stay at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous7:08 PM

    Glad you seem to have missed the worst of the storm - but so sad about the car - at least it can be fixed!

    ReplyDelete