Thursday, September 27, 2012

So Far, So Good

A Bit Warm Today

I went for my swim in the morning, concerned that if the predicted thunderstorms came through, the pool would close. Even though it is indoors, the pump equipment is outside so it runs the risk of lightning strikes which could then go through the rest of the water.

I'm pretty sure I did a couple more laps than my usual 20, but I did swim for about 50 minutes before calling it a day.  I always feel so invigorated after a swim. I don't know if it's the exercise or the water, but I really do enjoy it. The trip to the college pool is about 15 miles and can be an annoying drive, but it's worth it.

It was warmer today, and just on the edge of being uncomfortable outside. So I figured I'd wait until early evening to ride.

That's one reason I  stopped to do some grocery shopping on the way home to buy ingredients for some beef barley soup. The restaurant we often go to for lunch after church makes the most wonderful beef barley soup and I am determined to make a version of it so I don't have to keep buying some there for takeout. I'll try a version tomorrow to see how it goes. I was going to start it today, but discovered I needed some meat and ended up going to another supermarket in the afternoon.

By then, it was time to feed the Boys. About an hour later went out to ride Chance again. (Tucker is still shoeless.)  It was better today. I was much quicker on correcting his tendency to stiffen through his back and lift his head.  Although the frame was still pretty unsteady, it was much better.

I do have a bit of work to do on suppling him laterally. He tends to get himself well shaped on one rein and then almost "locked" into that bend so when I change rein through a circle, I have to make some fairly strong aids to get the bend changed through his body.

Again, much of this is typical of a green horse.  I simply haven't schooled him a lot.  As I've said before, he is such fun to ride out on the trails that we've spent more saddle time out in the woods and fields then in the schooling arena. It's fine, actually, but knowing myself as well as I do, I definitely need to bring up his level of training to something akin to first or second level dressage before I will be satisfied. Ohterwise, even on the trail, there will be moments when I will just not be happy with how he's going, and that can only lead to unpleasant results.

Once we are at second level, I can go most anywhere from there. The essentials will be in place and if, by chance, Chance happens to show a real talent for dressage, I may decide to show again.  If not, I'm sure I will still play around with the upper level movements, just because it's fun to do that stuff.

Meanwhile, we'll work on a good solid foundation.  As I said, so far, so good.

3 comments:

  1. The swim sounds great. It was a little humid today before the storms.

    Glad to hear you're back in the saddle and having good rides. Sounds like you have a plan with Tucker. I bet with your expert training he'll be where you want him in no time. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. *lol* Sometimes I call them by the wrong name too. It's worse with my cats.

      Delete