Wednesday, August 03, 2011

A Full Day

In Between the Showers

I went to meet an Ansur client this morning. It should have been a relatively uncomplicated trip, but darn if I didn't get stuck in traffic in two of the small towns I had to pass through on my way. What should have been a 45 minute or so trip was more like an hour and a half.  I ended up stopping for lunch on the way home--a much shorter drive.

Once home, I debated on my activities for the rest of the day. Rain was in the forecast, and sure enough, the sky clouded over and it started to sprinkle. But, it also got a whole lot cooler.

I've been putting off mowing the lawn because of the heat, so this was an opportunity not to be missed. Out I went to tackle what was beginning to look like a hay field.  There is cut grass all over the place, but it does look so much better.

But then, I was overcome by "mower power" and decided to head out to the paddocks. I have lots of weeds.  I drove around rather madly for another hour or so, cutting much, but certainly not all, of the weedy growth in the paddocks around the barn and bit in the front area of the pasture. My fence on the west side of the property is completely overgrown with weeds, bushes, briers, and even some small trees from my neighbor's overflowing property next door. To say things are out of control is an understatement. But as my fence man pointed out a few years ago, the undergrowth is an added security measure for the fenceline--if you could see the fence line. If I can ever get the money together, I would hire a brush clearing company to do all my fences, but for now, I have to surrender to nature.

The Boys thought the mowing was greatly exciting and put on a galloping bucking show. Chance seemed to delight in galloping madly in the places I'd mowed, I guess just to enjoy the weedless spaces.  Tucker and Toby were not quite as enthusiastic, but they did a bit of frolicking too.  Fortunately they stayed away from the mower and me, which was a good thing, as that might have become dangerous. I had my hand ready at the switch to shut off the mower should they come near, but all was well.  They had started off in the far pasture when I was working, but I guess the allure of "something new in the paddocks" was simply too much to bear.

It was raining off and on while I mowed, and when I was done, I was feeling pretty soggy.

So, what better solution to being wet than to get wetter!!  I headed off to the pool. No thunder or lightning so they were open. There weren't many people there, and the air had gotten downright chilly. But the water was wonderful! It was warm but not too warm and felt great. I did my laps and my leg exercises and headed in for a hot shower just as the rain started to come down again. Nothing bad, but enough to keep me wet.

Coming home to change into dry clothes felt pretty darn good this time.  


  1. We have lots of weeds too. They look so much better mowed down. The boys sound like they got excited about something new going on. Glad you're home and all dried out from your soggy day.

  2. Wow, what a great day! You got so much done! I am never happier than when I get tons done in a day. Nothing wrong with loads of weeds - it's better than loads of weed killer contaminating your land. Your swim sounds so inviting. I really must get myself to a pool. Should have time soon.

  3. stockproof hedging is not to be sneered at....

  4. you know, you could always call the outta control green stuff 'creative gardening' and you're doing it for the birds. Birds like that kind of environment : )
    - The Equestrian Vagabond