Monday, October 29, 2012

An So It Begins

Storm Is Edging In

Hurricane Sandy has merged with the second storm, so now we have something called a "cold cell hurricane," whatever that means. She is a really big girl and her winds are swirling at 90 mph.

So far here, in Central New Jersey, about 30-40 miles from the ocean, and some 90 miles away from where the storm is supposed to hit land around 8 PM tonight, we have moderately light winds with some gusts and light rain. Of course, as the day goes on that is going to change dramatically.

A number of roads and bridges have already been closed. I'm not sure if there are floods or just the danger of floods.

My property is on high ground. The likelihood of flood problems are minimal. What I do have a lots of trees.
But there is nothing I can do about that.

The Boys are free to choose to stay in the shelter of the barn, or go outside. This morning Toby and Tucker were on the west side under the run-n shed, and Chance was on the east side, in Tucker's stall. (box, for my British friends)  When I fed, each horse did go into his own stall, but it's hard to say how the day will go. I think the wind direction will make the west side more protected, so I suspect the older Boys will go there. Since Tucker is such a bully, he may well chase Chance out, but sometimes all three hang together.

I just hope all my buildings hold up under the onslaught. As I've said, there's not much I can do about it, except wait it out. We will likely suffer some pretty hefty wind as we will be on the outer edges of the storm's eye.

If I lose power,  I have the generator, but that's no guarantee that I can get on the Internet, since wires down will lose my cable connection. However, I do have the WiFi (a portable internet wireless) and my battery powered netbook, so I can post reports. They will be short, but I'll keep interested readers apprised of my situation.

Meanwhile, to all my friends on the East Coast area, especially Shannon who is not far from where Sandy plans on making landfall, stay safe. I am thinking of you and wishing you well.

To all the rest--Hang on to your hats! It's going to be an interesting day.

7 comments:

  1. We've had some good winds and it is raining now. So far we've only lost a small branch from one tree. It's really howling out there though. Stay safe and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The wind is picking up here, but we still have power. I wrote my cell phone number on the horses in waterproof livestock paint in case they get loose. They have the option of going in the barn or going out into the pasture. I trust their judgement.

    Luckily, our place is all new construction and our township requires all new structures to be rated for hurricanes. I thought that was stupid when we moved here, but now I'm glad they require it. We've got a generator for the well and plenty of food. Another nice thing about the country: most of our runs on propane, so we can cook and have hot water.

    Good luck and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a bunch of East Coast travelers interviewed on our news, who are getting extended stays in San Francisco. They don't seem to mind riding out the storm from here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good luck people....

    ReplyDelete