Thursday, October 13, 2022

 It's Been Forever

Since I last posted. So much time has passed as have so many boys. 

I lost Tucker to ulcers after a week long stay at Midlantic Equine Hospital. Not sure if treating him earlier with ulcer meds would have helped since the vet believed they were in his hindgut, where meds would not have worked. But I still second guess myself. I was a truly sad ending as Tucker was only 18. 

That left Chance and Toby together and they made a fine chestnut team. All was well. But then, one night when I came home from school Toby did not come in for dinner. I found him  lying down in the pasture suffering from a severe bout of colic. I managed to get him up and to the riding arena near the barn, calling the vet for an emergency. I was really a bad scene. In the end, it was pretty clear there was nothing we could do to ease his horrible pain and we had to euthanize him. He had lived to age 30 and was still sound and otherwise healthy. More tears and sadness. 

That left Chance by himself. So, I logged onto Facebook to see if anyone had a horse needing a home. After some 43 offers, I locked on to an aged Thoroughbred that had failed as a lesson horse after bolting with a few of his young riders. His owner had tried everything to fix the problem and finally decided to retire him to her field. I met him an fell in love immediately. He was almost a clone to Chance and I suspected I knew why he might have been running off under saddle. I adopted him and he and Chance buddied up quickly. 

Turned out my suspicions about my new horse, Lincoln, (AKA Mr. D Man) were confirmed when my vet checked his back to find it was super sore and reactive. Since, we've pretty much decided it is probably kissing spines and it will take a long rehab to perhaps make him rideable. (It's already been a couple years and I haven't done much with him.) He is a happy retiree for now. 

All was well with the Chestnut twins until Chance came up lame. Sure enough, my worst fears were realized when the vet took X-rays and we found out he had laminitis. We followed all the protocols to treat him, but when I went out to the barn to find him unable to even move away from the stall door so I could get in that I knew we were in real trouble. Sure enough, the laminitis had progressed to his hind feet and he literally did not have a leg to stand on. There was no choice. Once more, I had to end his pain. At 18, Chance passed peacefully in the front paddock, free at last from his agony. 

That left Lincoln alone. I don't think it's good for a horse to be without a friend, so once more I logged onto Facebook in search of another horse needing a home. God smiled. It took at least a month this time, but after looking at some Standardbreds I met a lovely young lady who wanted a home for her retired barrel horse. Enter Seven, another chestnut. Although his owner thought he was around 20--close to Lincoln's age--my vet thought "late teens." Doesn't matter. He is a wonderful boy. I still haven't ridden him--going on nearly a year--but that's another story. In the meantime, he an Lincoln are living the high life--completely spoiled. 

Both boys have lovely manners for the vet and farrier, although  I do need to work on some of Lincoln's respect for me as he's just a little pushy. But time will work it all out. Seven is slowly learning to trust me more and more. Somewhere in his life he was roughly handled and does have a "startle" reaction to quick movements on my part. He can also be difficult to catch, but again, I can work on that. And he is a treat hound, so carrots and sugar will go a long way. The most fun with him is that he is a "talker" and he nickers softly nearly every time he sees me. It's so great to be welcomed to his presence with a soft "hello." 

I have been having some serious pain in my feet which has slowed me down in my honest intention to do the groundwork I want to do with both Boys. For Lincoln, it's a matter of getting him to round his back, and for Seven, it's just some general lunging so remind him of getting ready for some rides. Not sure why I haven't somehow managed to do the basics so far, but I will--eventually. 

I'm sure the Boys don't care. They are both having a great time just being pasture ornaments and getting fed three times a day! 

1 comment:

  1. Jean, sorry I missed this forray back to blogging. I've been absent myself. I do return to my own blog to see the pointy noses and remember the dogs that have filled my heart. They do take a part of us with them when they go.
    I am inching towards some more varied and metaphorical writing. I have a title for my next post and I'm blowing the cobwebs out of my brain. I need to use my Words:)

    ReplyDelete