Friday, December 23, 2016

Third Time Pays for All

Another Escape

This time I went outside to put some garbage in the outside can and I heard some crashing out back in the paddock.  Toby was frantically running about and I saw Tucker and Chance out in the woods. I hurried out to try to keep Toby from escaping, but he was too fast for me. He saw where the back gate lay on the ground off its hinges, leapt it and the three Boys headed out into the woods.

I raced to the barn, got a bucket of grain and two lead ropes and headed out on the trail.

I the pumpkin patch just out of the woods, I found Tucker's blanket. I followed the hoofprints in the field and saw they were headed towards the road.

Then I saw Geraldo of the landscape guys out in my pasture. I called to him and he pointed back to the house by the landscaping firm. There were the Boys, grazing on the lawn by the house with another landscape guy standing guard.

Geraldo had taken down the fence boards from one section of fence to try to herd the Boys back in. Bless Tucker's stomach because as soon as he saw me with the bucket of grain, he came right over and I fastened the neck rope on him. Toby scooted away, but Chance let Geraldo capture him.

I led Tucker into the pasture through the open fence section and Toby galloped right in with us as Geraldo and Chance followed behind.  Geraldo and the other guy put the fence boards back in place, and I locked the gate between the pasture and paddocks until I was able to put the gate in the back paddock together again. I tied it with baling twine to make it more secure.

The only worry left is that Chance was looking really lame after the escapade. I could not find anything visibly wrong, but he was definitely favoring his left front leg.  I will keep an eye on him to see if he just kind of banged himself or if something more serious is wrong.

Of course, it's Christmas weekend, so a vet visit would not be exactly the best option unless I can really see something wrong. I'll just keep my fingers crossed for now.

Third escape this month. Not my the best record.

Meanwhile, I will try to share some holiday cheer.

2 comments:

  1. They really are escape artists! At least you got them all back without too much trouble. Hope Chance is okay and just banged his leg and all will be well. Just what you need on a busy weekend right?

    Have a great Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Landscapers sound like great neighbors. Is there an "Elf on a Shelf" in a horse version? It sounds as though your herd are all full of Spirit.

    ReplyDelete