Thursday, December 17, 2015

Excuses

Not Really Excusable

OK, so the temperatures have been warm for December, and as riding weather goes, it's been perfect.

Have I ridden? No.

Why not? Somehow I have no motivation. I know for sure my inner thigh muscles are still not rehabbed for riding.  I have sat on my barrel a few times, but not with any kind of regular determination. That means that sitting in the saddle will still either hurt or be ineffective.

No reason I can't do the work necessary to get fit, but I just keep getting distracted.

Then, there's the horse. I definitely don't want to try to ride Tucker until I am fit again. He is neither and easy or reliable mount.

That leaves Chance or Toby. Toby is showing more and more age as time goes on. I am really having trouble getting weight on him. As a Cushings horse, he has muscle wastage as a symptom, something the Pergolide doesn't really help. I have upped his feed, added some Amplify and I bought some beet pulp to try. Still, he is sound and would probably be fine. I just feel kind of guilty considering riding him.

And Chance? My sweetie pie, reliable, love to go out on the trail horse? He'd be fine for walking and perhaps a little trot. The last time I was on him testing my own muscles, we trotted just a few strides and I could feel that unsoundness in his hind end. The OCD in his stifle is definitely a problem for him. Bless his heart, though, because he doesn't let it dampen his enthusiasm--he heads right for the gate to the woods as soon as I swing into the saddle and let him walk off.

Therein lies the rub. Unless I can effectively use my lower leg, which requires cooperation from my hips and thighs, all I can do is try to steer him back along the track of the arena with my hands--neither very effective or good for him.

I'm not quite ready to go out on a trail until I have some better body control, so I do need to ride in the arena first for a few times.

That would help me build myself up.

But there the circle is complete. I am simply not getting myself riding fit.

I do exercise in the pool, although I've taken the week off so I don't risk getting my head clogged with water. I am singing a difficult solo in church on Sunday and I've been battling either really annoying allergies or a wannabe cold. All I need to do is make it through the music, and I'll be fine.

So, the list of excuses goes on and on. All those years I dreamed of having my horse in the back yard, and now that I do, I'm not riding.

Hopefully, my desire to ride will rekindle. Otherwise I will just have some lovely pasture pets.

1 comment:

  1. I can commiserate with you about not having any motivation. Sometimes it just happens and you have to wait until the mood strikes again. I haven't felt like riding lately either but have forced myself to do it anyway. The thing is once you're actually in the saddle everything feels good and you can't remember why you didn't feel like it.

    Maybe after your music solo you'll feel like trying it. Maybe just walk around the arena every day for a little while to get you and Chance in better shape. That's what I'm doing with Blue for now. Whatever you decide don't beat yourself up for not having the motivation. It will come back someday. Merry Christmas to you and the gang!

    ReplyDelete