Monday, October 16, 2006

Sorrow at Follywoods

PJ's Folly Passes Away

On Saturday, October 7, 2006, I woke to the tragic sight of PJ's body lying in the paddock near the barn. After nearly 27 years of life, with over 22 of them in my care, the old fellow's great and generous heart finally failed him.

He had overcome a nearly fatal colic in August and been named a miracle horse by the vets at Mid Atlantic Equine Hospital. Unfortunately, the miracle lasted for only two more months.

There was no sign of struggle. It looks like he just dropped and died soon after. For that I am grateful, but the pain still tugs every time I think of him.

PJ was one of the kindest and gentlest horses I have ever known. He had a quiet strength and giving spirit. He could certainly be a handful, especially if his excitement got the best of him, and he was not always an easy ride. But there was not an ounce of meanness in him. He was always ready to try, and gave his all.

I was blessed in owning him and sharing many wonderful years in his presence. May the pastures of heaven be ever green for him and the grass swift beneath his feet.

Rest in Peace, my sweet boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment