Thursday, March 25, 2010

Still Tired After All These Years

Now I Know Why I Retired

Aside from getting a cold, I am also tired. When I get home from school, it's hard to muster the energy to ride my horses.

It doesn't help that both they and I are out of shape from the winter, either. The task for getting started again is a bit daunting at the moment. Hopefully I will get some inspiration and get some sort of program started.

For you barefoot afficianados out the, my farrier, Scott, may be coming tomorrow. He did leave a message on my phone asking me if he wanted him to come, since it's been some 7 weeks since Toby was last shod. He, of course, also asked about Tucker. Since I wasn't home, I had to leave him a response message when I picked up his call.

I am leaving it up to him as to whether or not to put the front shoes back on Tucker. I know you are all convinced he can go barefoot--Tucker that is, not Scott--but I do trust Scott's judgment on this. If he sees that Tucker is too sore, or bruised, from being unshod, then he will reshoe him--provided, of course, that he thinks the mud will be a thing of the past.

The fact is, Scott is not opposed to barefoot, and is perfectly fine leaving a horse unshod as long as he feels the horse will be fine. So far, Chance is great. But even when he was a youngster and not really being worked, Tucker had some issues with his feet. Scott has done and incredible job keeping him sound and in work despite his having difficult feet.

So, if Scott gets my message, and does come tomorrow, I guess I'll know when I get home what the best option was.

I do feel sad about Mic, Scott's dog, however, as I will not be here to play with him. I guess he'll be sitting by my door again.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:58 AM

    Good luck with holding down the fort while teaching too - how much longer does your gig last?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Scott will know best ;-) he is up close and personnal with Tucker's feet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking you're probably still getting adjusted to working again and with the cold that could be why you feel so tired. For me I think I haven't gotten used to the change of clocks yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. a few people have tried to talk me into going barefoot in front with Stormy, who has navicular and is lame on and off. He's been doing so well the last few months (shoers actually put his front shoes on backwards last 2 times), I'd say the soundest I've seen him. My theory is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If (when) he starts getting sore again I'd be willing to try other options. Maybe.
    - The Equestrian Vagabond

    ReplyDelete